The kitchenBOX team is excited to bring our 7-day, $15,000 kitchen remodel concept to Lodi, CA! This is the first of two San Joaquin County kitchenBOXes taking place this spring.
This 1970’s kitchen has kept its charm for over 30 years, but homeowners Debbie and Rick are saying “catch you on the flip side” to its outdated style. When this kitchenBOX project is complete we’re sure they’ll be shouting “far out” to its new and modern transformation.
Why the Homeowner Chose kitchenBOX
As with most kitchenBOX customers, Rick and Debbie enjoyed the layout of their kitchen but not the 1970’s finishes. Their solid oak cabinets are structurally sound and provide a perfect substrate for refinishing. This simple fact, along with the appeal of avoiding a long. intrusive remodel, made kitchenBOX the right choice for this couple.
The Current Kitchen Specifications
- Countertop and Backsplash: 4×4 cream tile with dark brown grout.
- Cabinet Finish: Original 1970’s cabinets with a yellowed clear-coat finish.
- Sink: White cast iron sink.
- Appliances: 1970’s original stock appliances.
- Floors: Sheetvinyl
- Lighting: 1970’s fluorescent light box
A kitchenBOX Add-on
The kitchenBOX Gateway Circle project includes two add-ons: New 13 x 13 porcelain tile floors in Tilecrest Verona Taupe and replacement of the light box and fluorescent lights with new can lighting.
Items like this are often added to the kitchenBOX scope in order to maximize the owner’s satisfaction without adding significant time or cost to the project. We’re already there, so we like to customize the project as much as we can!
The kitchenBOX project Scope
The kitchenBOX team began the transformation on Tuesday, April 30th, 2013.
On day 1 the kitchenBOX team set the kitchenBOX, installed plastic walls for dust/fume protection, protected the tile flooring, removed the old appliances, demolished the countertops and backsplash, repaired the counter sub-top, removed the doors and drawers for off-site painting, templated for the new granite tops and prepared the remaining cabinet boxes for prime and paint.
During the following 6 days, the kitchenBOX crew will:
- Refinish the cabinets, doors, and drawers in Kelly Moore Westover Hills in semi-gloss finish using a top-of-the-line Kelly-Moore Dura-Poxy paint and primer.
- Paint entire kitchen walls to ceiling with Kelly Moore Campiello in semi-gloss finish
- Fabricate and install Juparana Delicatus countertops.
- Supply and install 3×6 Daltile Urban Putty for the backsplash and accent it with a 3×6 Hamptons Cliff glass tile. This will all be grouted together using Laticrete Antique White grout.
- Install a new double-equal Kohler Brookfield under-mount sink in Biscuit.
- Install a new Kohler Simplice pull-down faucet & soap dispenser with a vibrant stainless finish.
- Remove original 1970’s fluorescent light box and replace with 6″ can lighting and 5″ accent can lights.
- Install new 13 x 13 porcelain tile floors in Tilecrest Verona Taupe.
- Supply and install new satin nickel pulls and knobs.
- Supply and install new almond decor light switches and electrical outlets.
- Install the owner-supplied appliances.
The Before Photos
Check back in just a few weeks to see this retro-to-modern transformation!