Nothing quite beats the excitement of starting another kitchenBOX project, and today we did just that in Modesto’s College Area. Our crews are hard at work on Mills Avenue on our most extensive kitchenBOX yet!
Why the Homeowner Chose kitchenBOX
As owners of many residential income properties, this specific homeowner is well versed in all aspects of remodeling. So when deciding on the approach to take on their own kitchen they were able to quickly decide among their options.
After briefly entertaining a full custom kitchen remodel, the homeowner landed on an upgraded version of kitchenBOX. This compromise offered both great value AND the ability to customize the kitchen to their liking.
Not only are they getting the standard kitchenBOX package (granite counters, tile backsplash, refinished cabinets, new plumbing system, wall and ceiling paint, cabinet hardware, etc.) but they are also adding an assortment of additional items, including can lighting, removal of the existing “light box,” new cabinet doors and drawer faces, new bi-fold pantry doors, under-cabinet lighting and modification to accommodate new appliances.
These additional items will add a few days to the traditional 7-day kitchenBOX remodel, but we’ll still be in and out in two weeks or less. Quite a feat!
The Current Kitchen Specifications
The Mills Avenue kitchenBOX project focuses on updating the original 1970’s kitchen, currently featuring:
- Previously re-faced oak cabinets
- 6″ cream tile countertops with wide-grout joints
- 6″ cream tile backsplash
- White cast-iron sink with chips and scratches
- Economy-grade chrome faucet
- A 1970’s “light box” with 8′ fluorescent light fixtures
- No door or drawer pulls
The kitchenBOX Project Scope
Beginning Wednesday, October 31st (spooky!) the kitchenBOX team began the transformation.
Starting day 1 the kitchenBOX team begins by setting the kitchenBOX, installing plastic walls for protection, removing the old appliances, demolishing the countertops and backsplash, repairing the counter sub-top, removing the doors and drawers modification and off-site painting, prepared the remaining cabinet boxes for prime and paint, and beginning the rough-in for the new electrical features.
During subsequent days, the kitchenBOX crew will:
- Refinish the cabinets, new doors and drawers in Kelly-Moore Rice Pudding finish using a top-of-the line Kelly-Moore Dura-Poxy painted finish.
- Fabricate and install Del Mare granite countertops.
- Supply and install MSI Crema Marfil 3″x6″ tumbled tile backspalsh with Laticrete Sauterne grout with a tight joint.
- Install a new granite silestone, two compartment sink.
- Install a new brushed nickle single-hole sink with a hidden pull-out sprayer.
- Supply and install InSinkErator Evolution Pro garbage disposal.
- Supply and install new decor light switches and electrical outlets.
- Install the owner-supplied new stainless steel appliances.
- Retrofit new 5″ and 4″ can lights in various locations.
- Supply and install new bi-fold doors at the pantry.
The Before Pictures
Here are images of the current 1970’s kitchen:
We encourage you to check back in the coming weeks to see the finished product! For email delivery of future blog posts on this project, simply click here!