We’re excited for our most recent kitchenBOX project for many reasons.
- We get to transform a great 1970’s ranch-style kitchen into a modern marvel.
- We get to work with some fantastic homeowners who are even more excited than we are to get the project under way.
- And we get to use quartz for the countertops! (Want to read up on this material? Check out the website here…)
That’s right: after offering quartz as a kitchenBOX countertop option for just a few months, we have our first project in which to install this wonderful material. Their choice? Q from MSI in the color Rushmore. It’s going to be great!
Why the Homeowner Chose kitchenBOX
After purchasing this bank-owned property a few months back, the homeowners immediately commenced repair and updating. The overgrown landscaping was removed, the broken windows replaced and an assortment of immediate repairs were made.
And then, like a huge pink elephant in the room, their kitchen kept staring at them. The yellow tile countertops, the dingy, dark-oak cabinets, the sheetvinyl flooring. All of them saying “I need to go!”
So in came kitchenBOX, and in just a month or so, this homeowner went from “we hate our kitchen” to “we’re getting a new kitchen!”
The Current Kitchen Specifications
- Countertop and Backsplash: Yellow 6″ square tile with brown grout.
- Cabinet Finish: Original stain-grade cabinets.
- Cabinet Hardware: Aged brass hinges and dated pulls.
- Sink: Almond cast-iron.
- Faucet: Standard chrome, low-rise.
- Lighting: Light box with inset fluorescent.
Like so many of our recent kitchenBOX clients, this homeowner elected to add 6-5″ LED can lights to their project. These energy-efficient, high-output, cool-to-the-touch lights are a fantastic addition to any kitchen.
In addition, we’ll be bringing a new gas line in to the center island for the new KitchenAid Gas cooktop. Curious what other add-ons kitchenBOX offers? Check it out here…
The kitchenBOX Project Scope
The kitchenBOX team began the transformation on Tuesday, August 6th, 2013. On day 1 the kitchenBOX team set the kitchenBOX, installed plastic walls for dust/fume protection, removed and set-aside the existing appliances, demolished the countertops and backsplash, repaired the counter sub-top, removed the doors and drawers for off-site painting, templated for the new quartz tops and prepared the remaining cabinet boxes for prime and paint. During the following 9 days (the lighting modification and gas line install are adding three days to this project), the kitchenBOX crew will:
- Refinish the cabinets, doors and drawers in Kelly-Moore Wagon Wheel in semi-gloss finish using a top-of-the line Kelly-Moore Dura-Poxy paint.
- Fabricate and install MSI Rushmore quartz countertops with a mitered edge.
- Supply and install Bedrosian’s Mediterranean Beige 3″ x 6″ travertine tiles with an accent of Bedrosian’s Eclipse Espresso Glass Mosaic in 3″ strips. This will all be grouted using Laticrete Mushroom grout.
- Install a new double-equal Kohler Clarity under-mount sink in Sandbar.
- Install a new Kohler Simplice faucet with a vibrant stainless finish.
- Remove original recessed fluorescent light fixtures and replace with 5″ LED can lights.
- Bring a new gas line to the center island to convert the electric cooktop to gas.
- Supply and install new Liberty 3″ stainless steel pulls with matching cabinet hinges.
- Supply and install new light switches and electrical outlets.
- Install new appliances.
The Before Photos
Want to learn how kitchenBOX can help you? Just click here to schedule your phone consultation using our on-line scheduling system. Or feel free to call us direct during business hours at 209-622-3610!