With a family of 8, the Wickford Circle homeowners certainly have their hands full, and their 1978 kitchen is definitely in need of a quality kitchen remodeling, being such a crucial hub of activity for the family.
So what does such a large, busy family do when they need to remodel the most important room of their home? They search the web, find kitchenCRATE and within weeks get underway on one of our more extensive kitchen remodeling projects to date.
Why the Homeowner Chose kitchenCRATE
Speed was the primary factor in this homeowner choosing kitchenCRATE over traditional remodeling concepts.
Quite simply, this household could not function without their kitchen for months at a time. And they were in luck, too, because although the original cabinets are nearly 35 years old, they are well-built and will paint out nicely with the extensive preparation and priming all kitchenCRATE cabinets receive.
And one additional deciding factor: The ability to implement some amazing kitchenCRATE customizable add-ons. In this case, the homeowner is getting the base kitchenCRATE along with new laminate flooring in six rooms and impressive lighting modifications. (Goodbye, 1970’s lightbox!)
The Old, Dated Kitchen Specifications
- Countertop and Backsplash: White 6″ square tile with brown grout.
- Cabinet Finish: Painted cabinets in need of significant refinishing.
- Cabinet Hardware: Mismatched knobs and hinges.
- Sink: White cast-iron, original to the kitchen, significantly scratched.
- Faucet: Standard chrome, low-rise.
- Lighting: Wood-trimmed light box with fluorescent strip fixtures and acrylic lens.
- Flooring: Sheet vinyl
Like many of our customers, the Wickford Circle homeowners elected to add some major upgrades to their project. The biggest? New Quickstep Laminate flooring in the kitchen, laundry, hall, dinette and living rooms. This highly-durable laminate flooring comes with a 25-year warranty and withstands an incredible amount of abuse. Unlike lower-priced laminate floors, Quickstep products stay exceptionally tight at the seams and, when placed over a high-end urethane underlayment, sound much like true hardwood when walked upon.
And there’s no better way to go green these days than by removing unsightly fluorescent light boxes and installing 5″ LED can lights. These lights, featuring cutting edge LED bulbs, last for 35,000 hours, produce a wonderful soft light, reach full intensity the moment they’re turned on and are dimmable across a large range of light levels.
The Project Scope of this Kitchen Remodeling Project
The kitchenCRATE team began the transformation on Wednesday, July 17th, 2013. On day 1 we set the kitchenBOX, installed plastic walls for dust/fume protection, removed and set-aside the existing appliances, demolished the countertops and backsplash, repaired the counter sub-top, removed the doors and drawers for off-site painting, templated for the new granite tops and prepared the remaining cabinet boxes for prime and paint. During the following 11 days (the add-ons are adding a few days to this project), our team:
- Refinish the cabinets, doors, and drawers in Kelly Moore Graystone in a beautiful semi-gloss finish using a trusted, top-of-the-line Kelly-Moore Dura-Poxy paint.
- Fabricate and install MSI Giallo Ornamental granite countertops with a practical mitered edge.
- Supply and install Bedrosian’s Veracruz Sand 3″ x 6″ travertine tiles in a brick pattern with offset joints for the backsplash. This will all be grouted using easy to clean Laticrete Almond grout.
- Install a new single-bowl Kohler Bakersfield under-mount sink in a matching Almond color.
- Install a new Kohler Forte faucet with a brushed nickel finish.
- Remove original recessed fluorescent light fixtures and replace with environmentally friendly 5″ LED can lights.
- Supply and install new Liberty 3″ stainless steel pulls with matching cabinet hinges.
- Supply and install new light switches and electrical outlets.
- Supply and install Quickstep Laminate flooring in Veresque.
- Re-install appliances.